Thursday, April 10, 2014

I'm Grateful Heaven REALLY is for Real

I didn't read Todd Burpo's Heaven is for Real before interviewing him for Mid-Morning (though I was familiar with the bottom-line basics of the story); but I did preview the film, releasing on April 16th, that's based on the book.



Todd seemed to enjoy the conversation as much as I did. He was a good sport when I asked him to come clean and tell us which movie events were real (happening in the flesh-and-blood Burpo family's life exactly as depicted in the film) or movie (never happening or kinda/sorta happening). He was uncensored while describing his anger toward God when Colton hovered near death, and gratefully awed by the amazing ways God is using Colton's heaven story to comfort, encourage, and bless dying children.

The real Colton Burpo in 2003 (four-years-old)

The movie Colton Burpo: Connor  Corum 
Fifteen-year-old Colton Burpo today
 


You know what I noticed about Colton's heavenly experience? He didn't mention any particulars about the place itself -- and heaven IS a real place. The Bible's description is of a forever home so stunningly beautiful, built with priceless materials, we can't even begin to imagine it. But what makes heaven, heaven, is that our God lives there -- and so do, and will, His children. All of them. No one who is God's is ever lost. In heaven, Colton met his great-grandfather, a man who died before Colton was born,  and immediately knew him. He met the sister who had died in his mom's womb -- a sister his parents hadn't told him about, and immediately knew her.

Here's a startling fact Todd didn't mention during our interview, but it is in the movie. When Colton told his mom he was hugged and hugged by a sister who had died in utero (my words, not Colton's), Sonja Burpo asked Colton what her name was. Colton replied, "She doesn't have a name. You didn't give her one." Sonja is stunned because Colton is exactly right. She and Todd didn't name the baby because they never knew its sex!

Years ago I read a novella about what happens in heaven when a Christian is heading Home. I can't find my copy or recall the author's name, but the gist of the story focuses on the call that goes out throughout heaven to those who knew and loved the Christian who is dying. These saints hurry to the gates of heaven so theirs will be the first faces their beloved sees when they arrive; that is, right after Jesus throws His arms around them!

I hope that's true. If not, I know that His welcome Home party will be even more wonderful than my scenario. But just in case my imaginings are true, here's who will be waiting for me:

Papaw and Mamaw. They could have written the book on grandparenting!

My Uncle Jerry (left) and my mom (center). That's my dad on the right. Aren't he and my mom gorgeous?! Uncle Jerry died when he was just 33. I know that had he lived we would have been close. I was enamored with him. An interior designer for the University of Kentucky, he appreciated and loved many of the things that I do. I dream about him on a regular basis and still remember his laugh.   

Doug's mom, Ginny, was one of my best friends. A single mom who loved her sons well, she called both of her daughters-in-law, daughters. She was relentless in hunting down morel mushrooms. I'd never tasted these delicacies until I met Doug.


As much as I love my mom, Uncle Jerry, Ginny and grandparents, the face I most want to see is Jesus. Colton Burpo has already seen Him. To Colton, He looks exactly like the Jesus painted by Akiane Kramarik.

Prince of Peace

Akiane and Colton's Jesus bears no resemblance to what a first century Jewish man living in Palestine would have looked like.

Composite of first-century Jewish male based on forensic archaeology.

Does Jesus show Himself differently when He chooses to reveal Himself to people in visions and in heavenly experiences? I don't know. Those are things that fall into the mysteries and wonders category. With those things,  I'm willing to live in the tension of For now, I don't know. But of this I am certain: when I arrive in Heaven, I will know Jesus. Not simply recognizing Him, but experiencing the fullness of knowing Him that this life only hints at.

When my life work is ended,
and I cross the swelling tide,
When the bright and glorious morning I shall see,
I shall know my Redeemer when I reach the other side,
And His smile will be the first to welcome me.
 
I shall know Him, I shall know Him,
And redeemed by His side I shall stand,
I shall know Him, I shall know Him
By the print of the nails in His hand.

3 comments:

  1. Lynne, I've read the book and look forward to seeing the movie. Your wonderful interview with Todd Burpo and your beautiful post here just nourished my soul again today. Thanks for all YOU do to beautifully share your special gifts and encouragements with us listeners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friend, learning that your soul has been blessed through Todd's interview has encouraged me. Thank you for that special kindness. Our limits -- be they age or fears or abilities or anything -- don't limit God. Won't it be fun to see what He does through this movie? Love to you. ~ Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete