Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Throwback Thursday

Though the day on the calendar is 2 days away yet, it was 2 years ago today that this happened:


The day that Lynne told me we had problems with our phones and even went so far as to have our engineer, Craig, come in and mess around in the room next door to make me think he was fixing them. That Craig. He goes to every length for authenticity. The day Lynne told me she wanted to play a song and we would just have Ron sit in with us in case we had trouble getting the song on the air. The day she told me she wanted to add a topic just for funsies.

She didn't actually say "funsies." That's a Bekah word.

But we had no phone problems. While we did play a song during the hour, that wasn't why Ron joined us in-studio. And the extra topic for funsies was just to set up our conversation in such a way that she could easily transition to "By the way: you have a visitor.

Two years ago today, Ryan crawled down the hall and under the window...and I was none the wiser. {Heavily distracted by the frappe in front of me.}

He paced around in the morning guys' office while I yammered on about frappes and memories. And then this classic face:

I knew. I knew the MINUTE I saw him why he was there. We had JUST told my parents - and our church - we were dating. And there he was, ready to make it official forever. My first thought was Oh I hope my mother knows about this. {She did.}

And I, oh girl who sobs like a toddler through every moment of life, somehow managed to stay composed while Ryan delivered the most GORGEOUS speech ever.
I'm so glad I kept it together. Otherwise, we'd have a roll of engagement pictures to mimic this travesty from the wedding:
No one needs that.

He proposed and I squealed out a YES before he hardly had the question out of his mouth.
I keep a CD of this show in my car, and last week, I listened to part of it on a commute. I cried more listening than I did that day. But it was okay. I was alone and it was dark out and no one could see the above face.

How thankful I am for Ryan and for these past two years. How thankful I am he took a risk on me. How thankful I am he was braver than I and willing to jump right in and propose and get married so we didn't have to wait forever. How thankful I am that when I read through the words of his proposal {it's framed in our house} that he has been a man who has kept every promise.

Thankful that he loves me as Christ loves the church, and I ache for him to be able to show other men, through his words and actions, how to follow suit with the women they love.

Two years ago, life changed forever. In the most beautiful way.

No comments:

Post a Comment