Thursday, June 20, 2013

Nothing Stops a Blogger, Even Vacation

I'm on vacation. Let me put that out there first thing. Guess where I'm staying?


If you guessed a beachfront hotel in a quaint and charming berg on a lake for a girlfriends' getaway, you'd be correct...and scarily informed. Stop following me.

This place has it all...

Fun places to visit, like the Disneyland of cherries with more cherry products than you can imagine, and a staff that deserves an A+++++ for customer service.

 

 
Scrumdillyicious food, like this Chocolate Silk Pie with a -- Good golly Miss Molly! -- PECAN CRUST!
 

Unique, personal touches like this knitted tree cozy outside a coffee shop (I attribute this to an overly-caffeinated tourist).
 

 
One-of-a-kind places to visit...that's an understatement when describing this insane asylum-turned-offices, shops and restaurants.
 
 
But the best part of this vacation is spending it with my dearest friend in the world, Char. After almost 30 years, our hearts are truly knit together. I'd forgotten what it felt like to laugh, REALLY laugh, all day long. Who needs to do crunches or planks when you're vacationing with the person who knows you so well, she can turn any statement into a punch line that makes the two of you howl?
 
 
Char knows every chapter of my life, including the ugly ones (several of which she was there to "read"), yet loves me with the agape-est of agape love, while always, ALWAYS pointing me to Jesus.
 
 
Sally Gary, the author of Loves God, Likes Girls, said something very similar during her Mid-Morning interview last week. This intelligent woman (she was a teacher, and then went to law school to become a trial attorney) has loved God with a every cell of her being since she was a little girl. She also struggles with same-sex attraction, still. Do you know what enables her to walk away from temptation and stay faithful to the Jesus she loves? Friends who love Jesus, too. Yes, the Spirit of God empowers her and reminds her of truth, but it's her friends who laugh with her; hold her when she cries and longs to be known intimately in every way by a spouse; and remind her that Jesus has a Good Plan for her.
 
 
Char is that person for me. I'm so grateful for her and to her. May God gift you with a friend like my Char. He cares about things like that, so ask Him.
 
And that's why I'm closing out this blog post and heading out for the final day of vacation with my friend who points me to Jesus.
 
 
 
Until Monday when I'm back live on Mid-Morning!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment