Thursday, June 6, 2013

Sprucing Up

The past few weeks have been all about sprucing up the house...the yard...me!

It began with new coats of glossy white paint on my flea market chairs and J.R.'s climb up/sit down stool. We bought it when he started walking (that would be 31+ years ago!). I have such sweet memories of him dragging the, then brown, stool over to the living room window so he could wave goodbye to me when I'd head out somewhere.
 

Here it is in all of  its glistening white glory. I normally use a different brand of spray paint, but the Rust-Oleum Painters' Touch was on sale, so I gave it a try -- and LOVE it. It lives up to the "2X Coverage" claim. It will be my go-to from now on.
 
When in doubt about how to freshen up a piece of furniture, I paint it. When in doubt about the color, I choose black or white. These flea market finds went from green to white in 2010 when we remodeled our kitchen.
 


Last year I was shocked to find the perennials we'd planted two years prior were infested with what I now know is silver leaf and rust fungus. I swallowed a big spoonful of DENIAL, did nothing, and thought that, somehow, this year my little flora darlings would spring from the earth in perfect health.

Holy hollyhocks!

The fungi are back -- and they brought a horde of silver and rust buddies with them. ALL of the plants are blanketed with the nasty fungi! This is one of those times when I'm grateful I can't see the microscopic world.

I didn't take any photos of the devastation (oh, the horror), but after one application of Neem Oil Extract, the blight has dramatically decreased. I'm hoping last night's second application does the trick. If not, I'm ready to mount a third attack.



Each spring I buy another perennial to add to our growing front yard garden. But before the newby moves to the yard, it spends the summer in a pot on the patio. This year's choice: yarrow. It's leggy (two to four feet tall) with feathery leaves and large, flat-topped flower clusters. Perfect for cutting and drying, it comes in salmon, pink, white, red and yellow, which I chose.

 
So pretty...and butterflies like yarrow too!
 
 
I remember summers when my only real goal was to get the darkest tan possible. Nowadays my goal is to stay OUT of the sun for reasons my 17-year-old self had no clue about. But I still like the golden glow of a tan. Golden, not Tropicana orange, which used to be the only color a self-tanner could achieve. Not anymore.
 
 
Hello, Bare Escentuals Faux Tan from Bare Minerals!
 

 
 
I took a "before" shot of my legs but it was so distressing that, for the well-being of anyone reading this blog, I've chosen not to post it. All I can say is trust me; you'll be super pleased with the results -- so much so you'll even consider wearing shorts to work. Okay, not shorts but at least a skirt. And the tanner smells delectable too.
 
Bring on summer! I've been waiting for you.
 
 
 
 
 

 

 













 
 
 
 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment