Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Promises

This has been a wearisome week. Ever have one of those?

Heaviness and frustrations seemed to just rest over me day after day after day. I wrestled again with issues that I'd hoped to be long past. I staggered out of bed after another too-short night of sleep and stumbled toward the kitchen to pack lunches and start dinner so it could cook in the crock pot all day. My daily commute chat with Ryan rehashed the same conversation from the day before...what we would do if our house sold at this time or that one.

Tuesday night, while Ryan painted the trim added to our house after the plumbers came through and replaced all the lines a few weeks ago, I hunkered down on the couch and caught up on all sorts of things I was behind on...with my blog, with email, with pictures, with Facebook. A virtual housecleaning of sorts.

And it was in that space that the first picture popped into my Facebook feed.
This gorgeous double rainbow had appeared in the sky...and before long, all my friends were posting their versions of catching a glimpse of this reminder of God's promise.

I practically threw my laptop across the couch and dashed out the front door to search the sky for the beauty. I needed it.

And it was gone.

Not a trace.

I came back inside and slumped onto the couch, scrolling through more versions and angles of the rainbow, and the thought crossed my mind, I needed a promise tonight just as much as they did. Why do I always feel left out of the promise?

And just as quickly as those thoughts formed in my brain, God gently reminded me, The promise is there even if you don't see it.

It's there. It's no less real and certainly no less valid just because I didn't get to witness it in that moment.

And so it is for my world. I don't have a clue what's happening in our foreseeable future, but that doesn't mean God isn't working on it. That doesn't mean He's not making good on details of the good He has promised to us.

Maybe you're kind of with me this week. Maybe you can't see the promise and you feel like maybe you missed it.

Cling to the truth that it is still there. Lean on the proof you see in the lives of others.

He's there. He's working. And He won't fail on His promises.


No comments:

Post a Comment