Friday, August 1, 2014

Jesus, Tell Me That I'm Yours

Wednesday, recovering perfectionist and workaholic, Joan Webb, made a welcomed return visit to Mid-Morning to explain the way of intentional living.

 
There is something so incredibly disarming about Joan. Warm, open, humble, and infused with heavenly wisdom, the Life Coach, speaker, and author showed me (though I don't think she realized it) that intentional living is simply walking out the Greatest Commandment:

Jesus said, "You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind. (Matthew 22:37)

I know. I know. I sound like a broken record, drawing a line from every, and I do mean every, aspect of being a follower of Jesus, back to this commandment; but our brother in the faith, that fisher-of-men, Peter, made it a point to remind his friends of important things they already knew because the stability of their faith depended on it (2 Peter 1:12).

Brennan Manning did the same. He laser-focused his writing and speaking on God's love. When asked why he didn't widen his circle of themes, he replied that he would -- once he'd exhausted the subject of God's love. The man was fierce and funny. Point taken, Brennan.

Since that conversation with Joan, I've also been thinking a lot about a call from a woman near the end of the show who wanted to know how to embrace her identity in Jesus. Intellectually, she knows who she is in Jesus -- a forgiven, beloved daughter; a holy, Spirit-filled saint with a certain future -- yet she remains unchanged by this reality. While she didn't say this, I imagine she:
  • Battles insecurity and jealousy
  • Compares herself with others
  • Feels afraid, anxious, lonely, and unloved in the deepest part of her soul
  • Suffers disappointment with herself and the course of her life

I know I did.

I read multiple books on the topic of a Christian's identity and waited for mine to take hold. Years went by. Older in Jesus but untouched by new creature status, that was me. How do we experience a truth like our new identity in Christ, or any of God's lavish, loving gifts for us? Through Jesus. It always comes back to Him, doesn't it?  He IS the YES! to all of all of God's Old and New Testament promises (2 Corinthians 1:19, 20), including our new identity as a wholly-loved and fully-accepted daughter.

To our sister who called -- and every other woman (and man) who struggles with their identity in Jesus -- give your mind to God to renew. Over and over again.

Renewing is Holy Spirit work. It's a supernatural effort that begins at an unconscious level and presses its way to awareness. So mysterious. So wondrous. So real. We're oblivious of its beginnings, and yet renewal eventually makes its way up (to our conscious thoughts) and out (to our actions)! The transforming, renewing of our minds resembles the growth process of a plant, pushing its way out of a hard-shelled seed - Up! Up! Up! - until it breaks through the soil and into the light of day.


It's a process. 

In one of the personal stories featured in The Intentional Woman , a woman, frustrated with waiting to see the results of course corrections in her life, moans, "Why is EVERYTHING a process?!" 

I hear you, friend. But Joan reminds us that, in the Bible, God sanctions process. Thank you, Joan. I have now memorized your succinct, brilliant distillation of truth, and will refer to it as needed. I'm guessing at least twice a day.

 I'm not a theologian but I do have a theology: I believe God is Who He says He is and will do what He says He will do. And He says He will renew my mind, anchoring who I am in Jesus within its center. 

Have at it, I said - and say. And He did - and does!

The Holy Spirit renews what we give to Him. So caller friend, give the Holy Spirit your whole self -- mind, soul, heart and body -- while absorbing the Word. Read it out loud. It's your friend and Savior, Jesus, talking to you. Then preach the truth to yourself! While you're blow drying your hair. Waiting at a stoplight. Folding clothes. Winding your way through the fast food drive-through.

Do you realize that something dies as our minds our renewed? You can cheer this death: the demise of lies we've accepted as truth.  All of us have weedy lies growing in our minds. But the potent truths of Who Jesus is, and who we are in Him, act as time-released lie-i-cide, obliterating the deceptions that once decimated us!

The God of the Universe has this to say to you:

I've redeemed you. I've called your name. You're mine. When you're in over your head, I'll be there for you. When you're in rough waters, you will not go down. When you're between a rock and a hard place, it won't be a dead end--because I am GOD, your personal God, The Holy of Israel, your Savior. I paid a huge price for you: all of Egypt, with rich Cush and Seba thrown in! That's how much you mean to me! That's how much I love you! I'd sell off the whole world to get you back, trade the creation just for you. (Isaiah 43:1-4)

My identity in Jesus was secured the day I said the yes that changes everything: Yes, I believe in you, Jesus. Save me. So is yours. Ask Him to bring this reality to life in your mind.

He does and He will.

For His Holy Spirit speaks to us deep in our souls and tells us that we are God's children. 
(Romans 8:16 NLT)



1 comment:

  1. Hi Lynne! I just wrote a comment and then lost it all. :-( But I'll try again. Thanks for a great blog sharing God's love and inviting us to love Him back. It was a joy to interview with you last week. Thank you for your affirming words. Living intentionally as the person God created us to be is indeed a love journey with Him. There is power in each person's story, and we maximize that power when we partner with God. This reality makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete