Wednesday, August 6, 2014

The Little Words

Last week during BLT, I told the story of going to the dentist...and the insane amount of fear I experienced prior to that initial appointment. I cried when I made the appointment. I cried most of the day leading up to it. I cried all the way there and all the way through the appointment.

Classy, party of one.

Before I left the office, Lynne dug through her dish of MudLove bracelets in search of one that fit my need. After deciding "Dig Deep" wasn't the appropriate fit, we settled on fear not.

I wore that bracelet to my appointment, and you can know I'll be wearing it to the big bad procedure I'll be undergoing later this month, and to every follow up appointment.

I rubbed my fingers over the words stamped in pottery while I sat in the chair that day...telling myself over and over the same words Christ spoke often in the Bible: fear not.

You know, He spoke a lot of little nuggets of wisdom wrapped up in a handful of words: love your neighbor, rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, do not worry, do not judge, ask seek and knock...

...just to name a few.

I am not a theologian, but I sure appreciate those who have that gift. I appreciate those who can study one sentence and learn enough about the time period, the culture, and the surrounding context to write a commentary to help us understand it.

I took a college class in Biblical Exegsis and spent an entire semester unpacking less than 10 verses in no less than a dozen ways. By the end of the semester, I had a thick paper with all my findings - and a whole lot of research under my belt. It was one of my favorite classes, and it gave me a whole new appreciation for the study of the Scriptures.

But as much as I love that approach to study, I am reminded if the simplicity of the Gospel. Jesus taught in stories and tiny sentences of direction that anyone can understand. His direction to fear not was just that...fear not. It wasn't  multi-step plan or a wall hanging or a three-day conference. It was two words spoken in gentle love: fear not.

The little words can mean the most. They're so simple that we feel we need to complicate them in some way. Research them. Figure them out. Speculate deeper meanings.

But sometimes it really is just that simple:

Fear not.

Love your neighbor.

Rejoice always.

Pray continually.

Give thanks in all circumstances.

Do not worry.

Do not judge.

Ask, seek, and knock.

Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment