Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Wise Guys (and Girls)

Do you wish you were wiser? The answer is simple: ask God to make you wise.
That’s it.
If you need wisdom—if you want to know what God wants you to do—ask Him, and He will gladly tell you. He will not resent your asking (James 1:5)
I’m reminded of this simple reality every time Mitch Kruse shows up for his monthly Mid-Morning show. Yes, he went to seminary and got his doctorate degree, but education and facts alone won’t make you wise.
Wisdom requires a supernatural transforming and informing:
And God has actually given us His Spirit (not the world’s spirit) so we can know the wonderful things God has freely given us. When we tell you this, we do not use words of human wisdom. We speak words given to us by the Spirit, using the Spirit’s words to explain spiritual truths. (I Corinthians 2:12, 13)
Tuesday Mitch wrapped up a two-part series on Finding Satisfaction, taken from the Beatitudes, and including Matthew 5:8 – Blessed (satisfied) are the pure in heart for they will see God. This verse made me think about my pastor’s current sermon series on spiritual warfare. I helped interview three of our church’s war veterans to prepare them to participate in one of the services. Each of their stories was different yet carried a recurring idea: What kept them going through boot camp and day after day, year after year of military service was what was waiting for them when the war was over: freedom…their families…the safety of home...and more.
What keeps me going, whether life is gloriously good or horrendously hard, is the promise of seeing God. It energizes my soul, nourishes my weary spirit and keeps me hopped up on hope.
Need a reminder of this certainty, that you, child of God, will one day see Him and be fully and forever satisfied? Brooke Fraser’s “Soon” is a musical celebration of that unveiled faces moment.

 

1 comment:

  1. Had to laugh at first at this post since my last name is Wise.

    Just discovered your blog and glad I did. will be back. welcome to the blogging world!

    ReplyDelete