Thursday, August 9, 2012

A Little Miscellany

Did you catch today's Mid-Morning? Master Gardener Ricky Kemery joined us in the studio to chat about how plants have been impacted by this year's heat and drought. Plants at my house look about the same as they do every year:
 Aren't you glad you're not a plant at my house??

Anyway. Ricky had some great advice, so if you're wondering about plants, check out the archive of that show.

I pinned this to our We Like It Wednesday Pinterest board a couple of weeks ago, but since I can still talk about it for a few more days, I think I'll mention it again. I made this cake (yep, this one is really mine...based on a pin I found) and took it to the lake the night of the Olympic opening ceremonies. Some friends of mine have a cottage up there and invited me up for the weekend (let me think...YES PLEASE!!!!) so I figured the very least I could do was arrive with food! They loved it.
 And as Lynne and I discussed on today's show...I have a bit of an addiction to Essie nail polish. I made a small pilgrimage down the polish aisle this week...you know...just to see...if there was anything I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeded. And see that little bottle to the far right? Yep. Bought it. I am planning to go to my first-ever-in-my-whole-life Colts game this fall, so I figured I should start practicing my nail art.
 And these things have NOTHING to do with Mid-Morning...but I think there's great value in life's simple pleasures, so I wanted to share them with you. You have a weekend coming up...take a few minutes (or a whole day if you have it!) and just enjoy something. Be thankful for the small things.

For example.

When was the last time you laid on a blanket in the grass and watched the clouds roll by overhead? I hadn't done that in...well...can't tell you how long. But I did it last Saturday and it was pure bliss.
For example.

I'm thankful I'm not a rhino. Turns out they have a 16 month gestation period and give birth to 140 pound babies. Oh how thankful I am to be a human girl!!
 For example.

I took a back road to work this week so I could enjoy this stunning sunrise. I pulled the car over to the side, rolled down the window, and gave thanks. One of my 1000 gifts. Many thousands of gifts found in many thousands of sunrises.
 For example.

Last night I tried a new recipe. No-fry fried ice cream. Oh. My. Dear. People. Have you ever had fried ice cream at a restaurant? I haven't in probably almost 15 years. But that lovely taste of warm, honey-cinnamon crispy crust around cold ice cream...oh yum.

But as you can imagine, I'm not really good at playing with fried foods. (Lack of coordination leads to dangerous cooking when hot oil is involved.) So I found this recipe for a non-fried version. Heavenly.
So why not give it a try? Take a minute this weekend to ENJOY?

No comments:

Post a Comment