Tuesday, January 8, 2013

No More Excuses. For Real. No, Seriously!

I'll admit it.

I'm addicted to The Biggest Loser.

 
Unfortunately I usually watch it while I eat my dinner...which is rarely a salad or a Subway sandwich. In fact, quite often it's pizza. I feel a little guilty about that.

But as you may know, a new season just started, and I hunkered down under the Colts blanket last night, remote in hand, to watch the recorded show from Sunday. The contestants burst into the gym, eager to have their first workout...eager to change their lives...eager to take the opportunity given them, symbolized by a key on a chain around their necks...

...and fifteen minutes later, they were tripping off of treadmills, throwing up on the floor, and sobbing in corners.


And the trainers stood back in first-day-fashion and shook their heads.

Transformation takes a lot of work. A lot of grit, a lot of discomfort...sometimes flat-out pain, sometimes public humiliation...and most of all...

...a good, hard, honest look at who they are. Those people who show up on the ranch for the first day of workouts are not usually soaking in self-esteem. And in no time flat, they are flat...on their faces...painfully reminded of who they are and who they are not.


Last night, one of the guys (haven't learned all their names yet. And by that, I mean I haven't learned any of their names. I'm terrible with names.) was crying in his room and one of the girls stopped by to encourage him. She told him that he may have been the first to fall off the treadmill, but if he makes it to the finals, he can stand up there and say "I fell down, but I got back up."

Whether your life change is a weight issue or a heart issue or any other issue...please know that the same things that are true on The Biggest Loser ranch are true for you.

If there's something about your story that isn't going right...and it's something you have the power to change...change the thing.

It's not going to be easy. It's going to require grit, discomfort, pain, humiliation, you name it. Bottom line: unlikely to be fun.

But. It. Is. So. Worth. It.


Get back up. Seriously STOP making excuses as to why you can't change this about yourself. Philippians 4:13 says I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. He will give you the courage...the strength...and the determination. But your job is to take what He gives and apply it.

What do you say? I can't answer that one for you.

Are you ready? Stop making excuses. For real. No, SERIOUSLY.

No comments:

Post a Comment