Monday, January 14, 2013

We Need...What He Gives

"We were all created with a lane to run in...we have been given certain gifts and talents and ability and personality so we can fulfill our purpose...I don't need what's in your lane. I don't need your gifts and talents and you don't need mine...You need what God's given you, so figure out that...figure out your gifts, your talents and what He's called you to be...and then your job is to cheer on the runner in the lane next to you...not try to trip her or run in her lane with her. Just be glad she's doing her thing...Focus on who you are and who you are called to be."
 
Powerful words spoken by Holly Wagner on this morning's Mid-Morning, where she talked about a book she co-wrote with Nicole Reyes...Survival Guide for Young Women.
 
The book is written for girls in their 20's and 30's but I think those words work for all of us, age excluded.
 
I went to church yesterday and sat in my pew listening to a handful of beautiful ladies in our church sing alongside Ryan on the praise team. And I sat there thinking...I wish I could sing like that. I wish I could serve along with him in that way. I wish we could be up there together every week. Instead, I closed my eyes and gave our songs my best lip-syncing efforts.
 
Every time I sit behind the Mid-Morning microphone and interview someone, I find myself wishing I had Lynne's finesse and poise in interviewing. I wish I didn't stumble over sentences and halfway through a thought, completely lose sight of basic vocabulary skills. I wish I could run down bunny trails and find my way back. But she's been doing this just a couple years longer than I have and I have much learning to do.
 
And you have them too...those things you wish you had...the talents, the skills...and maybe even if you DO have them, you wish you had them better or that they came more naturally to you.
 
But my story is not to sing. At least while holding a microphone. In our church, that is Ryan's gift. That is Abby's gift. That is Sara's gift. My gift is to pray for the worship team as I sit through their practices. My gift is to smile at them as they sing, knowing they could use a measure of encouragement from the platform. And my gift to the person next to me is to sing as quietly {or um...muted entirely} as possible.
 
My calling IS to interview...and I never thought it would be. But I'm not Lynne. Never will be. Doesn't mean I won't grow and improve with time...but I'm not who she is and my own journey in interviewing will be mine.
 
My calling is to stay in my lane, run my own race, and not try to trip up those around me or crowd them in their lanes.

No comments:

Post a Comment