Friday, January 4, 2013

Write His Words


Do you wonder...as you think about God writing your story...when you'll understand it?
 
When these pages He's scripting with each day you breathe...will make sense?
 
When you'll see something? Anything?
 
Does life feel a bit like this?
 

 
Lynne talked to David W. Pierce this morning...the husband of Chonda Pierce..whose life story has seen as many dark pages as laugh-filled fodder for his wife's ministry.
 
As he shared his story, and Lynne asked him what prompted him to write his memoir...he said these words which sent me scrambling for my journal so I could scribble them down in not-my-best-handwriting:

 



 
 Writing is so much about discovery.
 
I'm a writer. I get it. I journal quotes and verses and heart thoughts, and in so doing, I learn. I learn about God. I learn about life. I learn about MYSELF. I learn about what God is doing in my life because suddenly...I can see it. It's not just white space staring back at me but words covering that space that bring His work into something comprehensible for my soul.
 
You're rolling your eyes at me, aren't you?
 
You hate to write. You don't even own a journal. And you aren't sure you could find a pen on command.
 
But what if you tried? What if you tried writing - even awful-penmanship scrawlings of things your hear and feel? And what if you began to learn about yourself?
 
Even when words fail...you have a marker that God was there and wildly at work:
 

 
 
You begin to see the deeper truths behind the obvious.


 
You learn from others' quotes (yes, even tweets) and sometimes they drive you to prayer. Even simple, two word pleas.
 



 
 
When you find truths that you might not need in that moment but you stash them away for the future, because you know God is always teaching - even if the lesson isn't needed right away.
 



 
And you are encouraged on your way as you recognize something that was true in your past...and you are affirmed that what God did in you was good. And necessary. And loving.
 

 
He is always writing. And we would do well to write His whispers to our heart. Not because He needs to know He's being heard. But because our minds forget...our hearts falter...and we fail to see the pen held firmly in His grip.
 
Yet He writes...

No comments:

Post a Comment