Thursday, March 28, 2013

The "Is" of Easter

My March MMe-note thoughts generated several appreciative comments, so I thought I'd post it on the Mid-Morning blog.

I frequently talk about my mom and her battle with Alzheimer's. I'll continue to do so, only now it will be in two tenses: past and present, because on January 23, my mom, Eileen Natalie Furtado del Grosso, died.

The things she did and experienced during her lifetime on Earth require the past tense. They happened at a set time and place: She was born in Taunton, Massachusetts, in 1932. She gave birth to four daughters between 1954 and 1967. The women she is, the qualities and traits that comprise the unique soul known as Eileen, still exists in a forever body and requires the present tense: Music is mom's outlet for expressing her feelings. She is bursting with joy and gratitude and probably hasn't stopped singing since arriving in heaven. Mom is generous with all she is and has. Right now she is cheerfully tackling her heavenly assignments as Jesus prepares His return and our forever.

This isn't a positive spin on death; it's the believer's reality.

And while the calendar reminds me of Lent's lingering presence, I've already begun celebrating Easter. I couldn't wait until March 31. Not this year.

Jesus is alive; and because He is, so is my mom...present tense.

Happy, happy Easter!

Lynne


                      Mom and me on a train trip to Cape Cod in 1962.


                  Mom and me during our final visit to Cape Cod in 2009.








 


 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment