Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Sitting Back to Enjoy

We are too busy.

You know that?

All of us...we're always on the run, always checking things off the to-do list, running, running, running...and we don't kick back and rest.

This past weekend, Ryan and I took some time to go visit one of my friends from the days of yore. The days when I was a recent college grad and Jenna was in college and our paths collided in the Financial Aid Office. I was a counselor and she was a student worker, but we were fast friends and forgot that any age or level came between us.

And we're still friends, all these years later. I watched her get married and prayed for her during her years of waiting for babies and rejoiced with her when the first sweet baby was born...and then the second.

And now Jenna's been able to celebrate with me as she and her entire family welcomed Ryan in with open arms this past weekend.

A lovely weekend of sitting, resting, laughing, stories, and more. Take a peek:

1. What to do when stuck in this for two hours?
 Well, first I'd recommend checking out the dates of the Chicago marathon before traversing that way. HA!!! Then I recommend sitting back and having the best heart to heart conversation with your traveling buddy. And if you're traveling alone - call someone!! Passes the time and creates such joy.

2. Savor the goodness - and not just of the food.
Recognize it? I've learned that those who have enjoyed a Giordano's pizza before know them anywhere! This was my first, and I enjoyed the chance to try something Ryan loved - and to share fellowship with my friends. It was while we sat at length in the restaurant that Jenna's daughter wanted to look through my purse and have Ryan show her how to use the tripod she found in there...where Ryan and Jenna's husband engaged in a long conversation about the church...where Jenna and I laughed at her son, who was happily sorting through the pieces of pizza on his plate. Much enjoyment - and not just because of the food.
 
3. Indulge in a favorite.
 We made our way to an apple orchard during our visit and found these bags of Honeycrisp apples, which just happen to be my favorite. I used to eat one every day, but came to the place where I couldn't justify the hefty price tag, so I stopped. But since it was vacation, and since we were surrounded by the goodness - we had to partake. I've enjoyed every bite.

4. Make a memory.
 I have a picture similar to the one above from 2010, when I visited this orchard for the first time with Jenna. I was just healing from my painful breakup - and in fact, that trip was part of my heart healing. What a joy to come back, 3 years later, with God's redemption from that hurt, sit in the same spot, and make a beautiful new memory!

5. Have a good laugh.
 He's sitting in his food. It cracked me up. Why have I not thought to protect my food this way?? BEKAH DOESN'T SHARE FOOD!!!!!

6. Be Goofy.
 The orchard had tons of old tractors sitting around for photo props...and they were several inches deep in the mud. I decided it would be fun to "push" one out for a photo. No lasting productivity - but it sure was fun and a good laugh. Never kills anyone to be a little goofy!

7. Leave your comfort zone.
 Pumpkin guts. Need I say more?

8. Celebrate the gifts.
 
Over 10 years of friendship with the lovely Jenna. Definitely cause for celebration.

A weekend of sleeping in, seeing sunrises, indulging in late night coffee - and just soaking up the rest and the joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment