Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Abundance in Disappointment

Well, y'all, Miss Lynne was called for jury duty. You know what that translates to? One panicked producer. This is what I get for watching the movie Jury Duty...granted it was 10 or 15 years ago...but in my mind I just have this sinking feeling that she'll be sequestered away in a hotel somewhere for weeks on end and I'll be here trying to figure out what to do!

Anyway.

So today was supposed to be Dr. Ann's visit to Mid-Morning, but instead I'm sitting here at my desk from 10-11 (a very odd feeling) listening to this encore, called Winning Him Without Words.

You might be thinking, "Well that didn't apply to me. I'm not married to a man who doesn't walk with the Lord." (Or like me, "Well that didn't apply to me...I'm not married!")

Ahh, but there are lessons in everything.

Today's guests, Lynn Donovan and Dineen Miller, are both believers, and both are married to men who haven't committed their lives to Christ.

One of the things they mentioned was a word I know well, even though I don't walk in their shoes: disappointment.

Ever known that in your own life?

They said full life is possible even when you're disappointed. These are the challenges that drive you to the feet of Christ.

And with that, I'm convicted. Right now I'm waiting for my house to sell so I can move to Fort Wayne and no longer have a 2 hour commute tucked into each day. I love this job more than I imagined possible, but commuting (as some of you well know) is exhausting. I go home each night and want a nap more than dinner. (And that's serious business - because I love my dinner.)

Sometimes I fall on the floor, literally, before the Lord and cry out (aka whine like a baby) Why haven't You sold my house? Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?????

This morning as I drove the familiar route to work, I prayed about the house sale again and God so tenderly reminded me to just trust and to embrace life just as it is. Life with a job I adore. Life with co-workers who are amazing. Life with a two hour commute. Wait...what? Yes. Life with a two hour commute.

And then I heard Lynn and Dineen's words and that conviction returned. Am I disappointed that I'm still driving, six months into this job? Some days, yes. Is it possible to live a full life - even when life is in limbo? Yes. And will that drive me closer to the feet of my Abba? Oh yes.

My details are different...but the lesson ran deep. Thanks, Lynn and Dineen.

And to my Lynne...hurry back! I need you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Yes, that was an overuse of exclamation points.)

No comments:

Post a Comment