Friday, December 23, 2011

Speak to Me

I love recommendations, be they about restaurants, movies, make-up or books...oh, how I love recommendations about books. You do too, based on the response to today's Bibles and devotionals' show.

God shares Himself with His kids and we, in kind, share what He's gifted to us -- understanding, insight, comfort, truth, to name just a few --  with others. I'm so glad God made E. Stanley Jones, who wrote one of our featured devotionals. God continues to breathe life into the words Jones wrote more than 70 years ago in Victorious Living (the sequel Abundant Living is my 2012 devotional choice). Inhale these gems:

We grow small trying to be great.

The most miserable and fed-up people I know are the people most bent on being happy.

O Christ, You are shutting the gates to lesser life in order that You might open them to larger life. Help us not to complain when You will not let us be swine. For You want to make us after Your own image. Help us to arise and follow. Amen

See what I mean?

There are things God wanted to say to the world about Himself that He could only say through E. Stanley Jones. But you know what? There are things He wants to say to the world that He can only say through you and through me (I Corinthians 2:12,13). So as 2011 winds down and people ponder their resolutions for 2012, I'm going to recommit to one I made many years ago, a resolution that I'll spend the rest of my life trying to keep...one that, by the grace of God and the power of His Spirit, is steadily becoming less of a new resolution and more of a continued new life: ginowko-ing" God (see yesterday's blog for an explanation of "ginosko-ing").

No comments:

Post a Comment