Friday, December 30, 2011

Being Still and Listening

Not surprising to you, I’m sure, sitting still and being quiet does not come naturally to me. My Mom used to describe me as a bull in a china shop…and that was pretty accurate, I’d say. And while I do know how to sit and be still before the Lord, I’m much more likely to barge into the Throne Room and chat His ear right off.
So it’s good for me to hear the words of these three men who have made a point to sit…and listen to the Lord. I thought I’d pull out the one “LISTEN UP BEKAH!” word I got from each interview.
Richard Foster
It’s one thing to love God. It’s another to love God’s ways.
I love God. I have loved Him since I was six. But I will confess there are times I do not love His ways. When I was 10 and my nephew was stillborn. When I was 18 and my friend Craig died in a motorcycle accident, though I begged God to spare his life and take me instead. When I was just out of college and my “niece” Carol died on her six month birthday. When my college roommate was diagnosed with terminal cancer at 33. When my sister lost her home in a tornado. When my relationship with Isaac ended. Those were the moments when I didn’t love His ways. I had lots of questions – and sometimes flat out anger. But His ways are not my ways…and His thoughts are so beyond my own. And rather than figuring out His ways, I’m learning to just put my hand in HIS and lean on the truth that He has a reason. (And sometimes it’s not mine to know.)
Bruce Demarest
God expects us to do things.
I like to sit and make sure I know what’s going on before I take a step. But oh goodness. What blessings I would have missed this year if I’d not DONE THINGS. If I’d not submitted a resume to WBCL. If I’d not said yes to an interview. If I’d not written a resignation letter to my previous job. If I’d not been willing to get in the car and commute for six months (and who knows how many more)! If I’d not sent that email that opened up a whole new friendship. If I’d not taken a risk. Does God bring blessing to us? Oh yes. But does He expect us to take a step of faith toward blessing? Oh yes.
Glenn Myers
Soak up Scripture.
My job in the last six months has created quite a fast paced life for me. I love it. But the one thing I have failed at more than I want to admit is sitting and soaking in the Scriptures. I read on the fly. I don’t marinate in it like I used to. And you know what? It shows. It shows in how I live. I need to get back to that soaking. That quiet pondering. That hearing twice as much as I talk.
The good news is…a new year lurks just around this weekend. Time for new habits and a brand new start!

No comments:

Post a Comment