Monday, January 2, 2012

Dead Horses and Other Convictions

Walking into walls? I’d never do that. I’m not stubborn!
Okay wait. You’re not on the wrong blog. This really is me. I really am stubborn. And I’ve smacked my face into more walls than I can begin to tell you about. (Hopefully those that know me well have made a new year’s resolution to be merciful and will not leave comments of further explanation on that point…)
Stephen Arterburn shared a quote on Mid-Morning…and it smacked me between the eyes. This was his grandfather, Ernest’s, saying. If the horse is dead, get off.
I hate endings. I really do. If I have to go through an ending, then I certainly want a good batch of closure, but I hate the ending itself. I invest in people and things and projects so easily – and when something has to end, it’s truly like a death to me.
And I may or may not have (okay, I HAVE) been known to sit on a dead horse waiting for it to come back to life. It’s like the medical shows on TV when the doctors keep doing CPR – keep trying, and one doctor finally has to get to get in the other’s face and scream, “CALL IT! He’s dead. It’s over. You can’t save him.”
Gulp.
As I face a new, uncharted year, I’m armed with a list of things I hope to accomplish…things about myself I desire to change…and one of those things is to recognize a dead horse when I see one, crawl off its back, mourn its passing – and be ready to move forward into a future. Not into a wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment