Friday, January 13, 2012

Wisdom & Courage: Don't Go Anywhere Without Them

Jan Silvious is a life coach with the warmth of Paula Deen and the crack discernment of Dr. Phil McGraw– in fact, she’s called “The Female Dr. Phil,” though she doesn’t use axioms like that dog won’t hunt or ask, “How’s that working for you?” But she most certainly has a way with words, getting to the heart of an idea in one or two sentences, including today’s “Fix Your Thoughts on This:

Wisdom is the gift of knowing what to do. Courage is the gift of having the guts to do it.

Wisdom and courage go hand-in-hand, enabling us to make right choices, and then act on them. Both are generous gifts from God in response to our asking. If that’s true, why does courage elude us? As a reformed scaredy-cat, I thought courage meant the absence of fear. Not so. Courage is stepping out in spite of fear. What gives me the guts to do what’s right (handle a problem at work, tell a friend her words have hurt me) is Jesus.

It always circles back to Jesus, doesn’t it? He is with me, for me, in me, ahead of me, behind me, next to me, surrounding me. He is the Yes to all of God’s promises, which means He is every answer to every question, problem and situation. And He is my Friend.

Need courage? Let these words from the psalms wash over you; they are God’s reality, which is truer and more powerful than the reality you face:

I am ever mindful of the Lord’s presence,
He is at my right hand,
I shall never be shaken.

No comments:

Post a Comment