Monday, January 9, 2012

UWMW

Today's six "Author! Author!" books gave me plenty to think about, but Lorilee Craker's Money Secrets from the Amish provided the exclamation point to a persistent thought that's resurfaced in my mind several times since the clock struck 2012: consume less, create more.

The Amish excel at this because they adhere to the concept of UWMW: Use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without. I'm good at using up food, toilet paper, tooth paste, shampoo and a long list of daily living items. But to be honest, I very seldom wear out, make do or do without. And I have a habit of buying new lotions, potions and make-up before finishing up the at-least six-month supply already stockpiled.

As I put away Christmas decorations and made space for the gifts I received, I became painfully aware of abundance...every where I looked, abundance...and wondered how long I could go without having to buy something, anything -- food, toilet paper and other basic necessities excluded?

This isn't a legalistic exercise. In fact, I think it will open my eyes to see more of God's good gifts, which I'll add to my 1,000 Gifts List. I wonder what revelations God will surprise me with? I'll be sure to let you know.

Something else I wonder about -- how long will it take to use up nine tubes of lipstick and 5 blushes? Looks like I'll be saving quite a bit of money on make-up in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment