Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Aye, Eye!

The human body…make that any and all life, never ceases to astound me and prompt praise. Monday it was the human eye that had me hallelujah-ing. Our eyes blink over 27, 397 times a day. Under the right conditions, our eyes can see the light of a candle at a distance of 14 miles! And talk about proficient, our eyes can distinguish 500 shades of gray. Extraordinary organs, our eyes, which is why ophthalmologist Dr. Ruth Williams’ eye health advice is so helpful.

I take seeing for granted, like breathing and other functions my body does without my consciously thinking about them. But today made me more mindful of all the goodness and glory I see in a given day: a bird’s nest cupped in a tangle of skinny branches, my husband’s hands (which I think are as beautiful and manly as Michelangelo’s David), and the orangey-red sunrise on my drive into work.

But there’s something my eyes have yet to see that creates such a heightened anticipation in me, it can make me cry: my Jesus.

On the ride home tonight my iPod shuffle made Todd Agnew’s Christmas song In the First Light the next song in rotation. Todd sings about Christ’s advent, His first coming, and then ….His any-day-now Second Coming:

Hear the angels as they’re singing on the morning of His birth
But how much greater will our song be when He comes again to earth
When He comes to rule the earth

Hold me down! What a glorious sight. What a glorious moment that will last forever.

Until we actually see Jesus in the flesh, use your holy imagination to glimpse into the any-moment-now-forever-future as you listen to Todd Agnew sing In the First Light.


No comments:

Post a Comment