Thursday, January 19, 2012

Scaredy Cat

What scares you? For Angie Smith, author of What Women Fear, her list of fears was long and practically emerged with her from her momma’s womb. Like Angie, I had many fears as a child; some I could name, others I couldn’t; but they all left a vapor trail of anxiety. And how’s this for the ultimate irony: I became a Christian at age nine and knew the comfort of my heavenly future, yet I was absolutely terrified of the Rapture. Forty-seven years later I can still recall the dream/nightmare.

What do we do with our fears? Are ongoing struggles with fear a lack of faith? Angie’s own words are today’s “Fix Your Thoughts on This” –

“I want to propose that it (fear) is more of a balancing act than anything else. I don’t think I’m a failure because I have had fears, and I certainly don’t think that it is a requirement for Christians to forego fear in order to be good followers of Christ. I believe fear is the natural response to the question Satan whispered (in the garden, ‘God says He is good . . . is He?’), and I find that every day I have to adjust my footing consciously to move toward Jesus (my italics).”

I don’t know about you, but I’ve had to mindfully move from a passivity masquerading as faith to become an active participant (my part is simply to obey and choose Jesus) with the Holy Spirit in God’s transforming work in my soul – including releasing me from the grip of fear. The fuel for this movement was, and continues to be, knowing God. More faith isn’t the answer to overcoming fear. A fuller, clearer vision of the Object of my faith, Jesus, is.

Knowing God leads to trusting God and trusting God leads to obeying God . . . even when fear threatens to overtake me. So when the enemy of my soul hisses, “God says He is good . . . is He?” I can answer, You bet He is! I know Him, so I trust Him (Psalm 9:10) . . . and with Jesus ahead, beside and behind me, I plow right through my fear (FYI, my knees may be shaking, but onward I go).



No comments:

Post a Comment