Friday, January 6, 2012

Finding Your Stability

I am following the lead of Ann Voskamp, author of One Thousand Gifts, and thanking God for His good gifts. Ann counted 1,000 of them in about four weeks, noting each one in her journal. Today's MM gave me another gift to add to my growing list: left-field insights from God during MM, aka "I-thought-this-show-was-about-something-totally-unrelated-to-my-life-but,-wait...Heads-up! Here comes a heavenly news flash!"

After a crisis, get on with your stability.

Okay, let me put the statement in context. Tammy Daughtry, author of Co-Parenting Works!, tells a woman (or man) going through a divorce that the most helpful thing she can do for her kids is to get on with her stability. What does that mean? In a nutshell: looking forward in faith and acting on the belief that our good God will care for us. In day-to-day life it means That means establishing routines, laughing and smiling while doing life with her kids, and creating a safe, peaceful home.

Get on with your stability. The phrase kept dancing through my head. I'm not experiencing the crisis of a divorce, but over the years I've certainly had my fair share of upheavals that had me begging for stability. My first inclination used to be for a rescuer. If all the Prince Charmings and fairy godmothers were otherwise occupied, I'd settle for a momentary distraction. And this was after I became one of God's beloved.
"Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it; Prone to leave the God I love," certainly described me. But God (don't you love the pairing of those two words?) continued to draw me to His Word and to speak life, light and love to me. He showed Himself to me and became the truest Friend, One I learned -- and continue to learn -- to trust Him, in and for all things. Over time, as crisis arise, my first impulse has become to turn to God for stability on all fronts: body, mind and soul.
Get on with your stability.
Thank you, God, for reminding me that whatever the crisis -- small or large -- my stability is You. You are indeed our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble (Psalm 46:1).



No comments:

Post a Comment