Thursday, January 5, 2012

She's a Brainiac, Brainiac

I'll admit it: I'm a brain-ophile. And why not? Our brains are extraordinary, incredibly complex organs that shout, "I didn't get this way on my own. A Genius Computer Programmer made me!" All the while  Dr. Marv Eastlund and personal fitness trainer Kerri Zurbuch unpacked the link between lifestyle and aging well, physically and mentally, I had little praise-and-awe-party in my head.

Scientists used to think each of us is born with a set number of brain cells that we could lose as we grew older. Now we know that the body can create new brain cells, and that there are specific things we can do to make it happen. Shut the front door!

Research shows new neurons are stimulated to grow in three ways:

1. By a change in outside circumstances--the things you view or read and that surround you
2. By a change within--your thoughts or determination to try new things
3. By what we physically feed them--medication, supplementation, nutrition, and exercise

Do one thing every day (you pick the category) that kick-starts birthing neurons. Today I'm dancing my way to multiplying neurons with a new Zumba DVD. Sure, some of the moves make me look like a tipsy praying mantis, but who cares?

Ready. Set. Go grow brain cells -- and thank our God Who makes this miracle possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment