Monday, January 23, 2012

Who Would Have Thought?

I’ll admit, I wouldn’t have thought of it…how air conditioners changed life. Let me tell you that my life would be changed (and not for the better – AT ALL) if you took away my air conditioning. I’m pretty sure I’m the first girl to turn on air conditioning in the spring (February is spring, right?) and the last person to turn it off in the fall (November is still fall. Stop judging me).
But never – EVER – would I have considered that pre-air conditioners, people sat on their porches because they were too hot inside. And as they sat on their porches, they became friends with their neighbors because…well…they were on their porches too. Once air conditioning arrived, everyone retreated inside to take full advantage (as well they should have) and as a result those meet-your-neighbor moments went by the wayside.
Who would have thought that a beautiful invention would make such a huge change? It’s not all about good or bad…it’s just different.
It’s not a bad thing to have air conditioning (BELIEVE ME) or any other sort of technology. But it’s bad when the whole technological life takes over completely and we’re controlled by it. I get that. Take away my phone for too long and I struggle to breathe. It’s true. It’s in those moments I need to remember that my life needs to be controlled by the Creator of technology – not the technology we have created.

No comments:

Post a Comment