Thursday, December 29, 2011

I Am Not God's Personal Assistant

I’ve long been a student of marriage. About 10 years ago, the church I attended held a one day marriage seminar with Steve and Annie Chapman. I am sure I received all sorts of strange looks when I showed up all by myself and willingly sat (in the front, no less) for an entire day, but I didn’t care. I had the opportunity to spend a day listening to a husband and wife share the insights of what worked…and what didn’t…and I wasn’t about to miss that.
That’s why I love the marriage shows on Mid-Morning. I love to learn what to embrace and what to avoid, should I ever be blessed with a husband. And I was particularly thrilled with Cindi McMenamin’s hour on inspiring your husband. After years of observing wives belittling their husbands, whether in front of them or behind their back…publicly or privately…I was eager to hear from a wife who not only wanted to inspire her husband…but wanted to tell someone else how to do the same.
So in an entire hour of great advice, how do I possibly zone in on one thing Cindi said?
This one got me.
We need to talk to God about our husbands more than we talk to our husbands about God.
Gulp.
I’ve learned how to hear God’s whispers to my heart, and in the past, I know I was guilty of “helping” guys I dated hear the same thing. I was so anxious for them to know what I knew, that I just blurted it out and insisted that they go forward and hear likewise…and that did nothing but damage to our spiritual bond. What might have happened if I’d allowed GOD to do the talking in His own way and time?
The power of prayer…is beyond what I can comprehend. But I can’t even imagine the faith boost I’d get by allowing God to speak and watching my man respond to HIM.
Perhaps it’s good that I am learning all this NOW?

No comments:

Post a Comment