Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Relentless Chasing

What? There's a difference between excellence and perfection? You don't say. And all this time, I've thought they were synonymous...

Today we played an encore show (since Lynne is still out on jury duty) - and this one came from the archives of archives...way back in 2008. I figured that meant God needed someone to hear it...if it was going to come from that far back. (And I think "someone" is Rebekah J. Freelan.)

Joan Webb spoke about perfectionism...which is something I've struggled with my entire life. I hate failing. (Does anyone really LIKE it?) And to me, anything less than utter success is total failure. I should insert the disclaimer that this is my perspective toward myself only. I don't mind it when other people fail. I mind quite a bit when I fail.

So I pulled up a chair to listen to Joan, and she said excellence is enjoying quality of balance and perfectionism is the relentless chase of perfection.

Two words stick out to me there. ENJOYING and CHASE. I took up exercise a couple of years ago and dabble in jogging as part of it. I know some people enjoy running, but I'm not part of that crowd. To me, running/jogging feels like chasing after an end that never materializes. I do it because I know it's good for me, but it's a relentless chase that often leaves me sprawled out on the living room floor, sweating and wishing my cat knew how to pour and deliver a glass of water.

And isn't that the same way I feel when I'm trying to be perfect...and not succeeding? Wouldn't it be better to enjoy the balance that ends in excellence?

Guess what I'll be pondering today?

Lynne has promised me she'll be back tomorrow, and you can rest assured she'll be nearly knocked over at the door by an enthusiastic Bekah who has missed her immensely.

Tomorrow we have some fun products you need to know about - so tune in! And Friday....it's Kitchen Caboodle day! I cooked for it last night (resulting in an interesting set of photos taken via my tripod. You should have been there to witness THAT comedy) and it tastes yummy!! I mean...not that I had any of it or anything...

No comments:

Post a Comment