Tuesday, November 20, 2012

I'm Thankful...Even Though I'm Only Blogging Once This Month!

I'm grateful that the blog-loving Bekah decided to exercise her thankfulness muscle (it's large and well-toned) by writing weekday "What I'm Thankful For" posts the entire month of November. I'm especially grateful that she didn't expect me to participate but, instead, extended a gentle, no-expectations' invitation to take a day.

This, the 20th day of November, is that day!

There is much in my life that warrants a thank-you: my husband, Doug, and his restored relationship with Christ; our son, J.R. and our new daughter-in-law, Jeni, and new grandson, Elijah; Bekah and all that she brings to my work and personal life; and God's extravagant answers to our Mid-Morning prayers, to name just a few.

I'm also grateful for carpenters, those skilled workers who can create, build, and repair using their hands, a few tools, and a tape measure.

Doug's best friend in college double-majored in math and physics at a private Indiana school known for its rigorous academics. Yet when he graduated, he became a carpenter. When we renovated our kitchen (on the skinniest of shoestring budgets), Greg oversaw the project. He installed cabinets, hung beadboard, and built a banquette. In the living room, he crafted a new mantle, attached beadboard behind the shelves, and widened the bottom shelves to accommodate storage.

Every day for three weeks, this quiet man with a brilliant, inquisitive mind, measured (twice), cut, and hammered a new room into existence, and renewed our nondescript fireplace area . He brought the ideas in my head to life, and created areas so beautiful and homey, that I am swallowed up by gratefulness whenever I enter the spaces.


I love making a nest of pillows on the banquette and reading. If there's sunshine streaming through the window, even better!


              
The beadboard creates just the right amount of texture to showcase single items, like this birdhouse made from barn wood.


It's amazing what crown molding, beadboard, a beefier mantle, and molding on a cabinet door can do for a space -- and for very little money.

To all of the men and women who labor with their hands to create and repair -- plumbers, electricians, mechanics, and carpenters, to name a few -- thank you for your special forms of restoration.

You are appreciated and valued.


            







No comments:

Post a Comment