Tuesday, November 13, 2012

New Families

Today on Mid-Morning, we shared a day of thankfulness. Lynne and I offered ides for everything from kids' activities for Thanksgiving day to what to do with your leftover mashed potatoes. Oh, and I learned that ginger comes in forms OTHER than ground up in a jar on the spice shelf. WHO KNEW?

Then we opened the phone lines and you all called in with BEAUTIFUL tributes of thanks for what God has been doing in your lives. Several of you were thankful for your families, and that led Lynne to mention the joy of good mothers-in-law.

Lynne LOVED her mother-in-law and always is quick to pay her a kind word any chance she gets. I love that about Lynne and I always appreciated the hope it gave me that I could maybe someday have a good relationship with my own mother-in-law!

Actually I've been praying for that since high school.

Praying for God to open up the door for me to have a great relationship with the woman who raised the man I would come to love.

And He so did.

Ryan's mom and I were actually friends before he and I ever started dating. She was such an encouragement to me and she has (ahem) a photo obsession similar to mine. :) She prayed for me and loved me and was just an all-around good friend.

I'll never forget the night Ryan "took me home to meet his mom." Of course we'd already met but she didn't know he was pursuing me. And I'd never been taken home to meet anyone's mom before. Ryan drove me to her house and I hid in the garage, heart pounding, while he went inside to tell her that he had a surprise for her. He came back out, took my hand, and led me into the house where the looks of surprise, thankfulness, and utter relief collided on her face. And I had tears in my eyes because I knew God honored my request.


She's lovely in every way, and I not only adore and appreciate the way she has welcomed me into the family, but I appreciate the relationship she has with Ryan. I appreciate how she raised him to love and honor the Lord.

If I'd dreamed up a family to enter, this would have been just the kind of family I would have picked. Not only is she great...but all the rest have welcomed me with open arms too. Aunts, uncles, grandparents, siblings, cousins - all of them.

I'm grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment