Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Now That's Just Fun!

Today was Spots and Spotlights day on Mid-Morning!! And I had a really great time hanging out with our guests. If you missed it - catch the show here on the archives!

We started out with a sweet lady named Lynn McLendon. Lynne read about her in a magazine, I believe. She found herself fascinated by dollhouses, but have y'all checked out the prices of dollhouses? Even if you make them yourself, all the little pieces and parts cost a lot of money when you add them all up. So Lynn and her daughter got creative and made their own with bits and pieces of things they already had - the repurposed dollhouse, if you will. She wrote a blog about the adventure, and I think my favorite thing about it was hearing how she made beautiful memories with her daughter in that time. 30 years from now the dollhouse might have perished, but those memories will still be there!

And then there was this really fun creation: the Fridge Coaster! Ashlyn Rudnick created them because she felt like she spent enough time scrubbing dishes and she didn't need to spend more time scrubbing fridge shelves after the chocolate syrup leaked or the milk flaked onto the shelf...you know how it goes. You have a fridge too! So check out these really fashionable and functional mats for your refrigerator shelves! (Great Christmas gift idea!!)

Lynne saw this featured on QVC, I believe...and I had no idea it was even possible. Did y'all know thieves can steal your credit/debit card information THROUGH YOUR WALLET? They don't even have to be holding it in their hands if they have the right equipment. Freaky!! So Michael Lyons created a shield you can put around your cards to protect your info - and he also created the Rogue wallet - which is designed for guys to wear them in their FRONT pants pocket. (This he learned after throwing his back out FROM HIS WALLET!!! I rest my case with my ginormous Mary Poppins purse...)

Do you get a live Christmas tree? I never have in my whole life, but I thought it might be a fun tradition to start with Ryan, so we have plans this year to trek our way down to Dull's Tree Farm, not that far from Lafayette, IN. Might be a bit of a day trip for some of you in the Fort Wayne area, but the activities are endless! Sledding and a wreath barn and a petting zoo and hot chocolate....AND the tree. Doesn't it sound SO FUN? I can't wait. I'll have to post pictures when I go. (Because you know, I'll take some!)

And then - oh my goodness. Who doesn't love JEWELRY??? Ever heard of Bead for Life? They are a company dedicated to eradicating poverty in Uganda by providing a way for women to make jewelry and sell it. All their proceeds to into the poverty project and the jewelry is SO pretty. It's made from paper, actually! Devin Hibbard was our last guest this morning and talked about that - and GUESS WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!  WBCL is hosting a Bead for Life party on Thursday, November 29th in the afternoon/evening!! It's true! You can shop for Christmas, eat some yummy Fort Wayne Chocolate Fountain goodness, and help kill poverty for the Ugandan woman - all at once! Mark your calendars!!!

So that was our show today - and to that end, I say for today's thankfulness stop...I'm so thankful for this very fun job! I am thankful to spend my days with Lynne and guests that teach me and make me laugh and think and sometimes even cry (in a good way). What a blessing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment